Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Some of my Thoughts on This Upcoming Veteran's Day

" This Veteran's Day we honor those who have so bravely served this country. America is founded on the principle of freedom, justice, and liberty. Our nation's soldiers serve every day to protect our country and it's ideals. On Veteran's Day, take a sacred moment to remember those who sacrifice their lives every moment to achieve peace and democracy."



I remember as a kid Veteran's day held little meaning. Of course I understood the reason behind it, but it wasn't anything huge. Yes, I have had family in the military...Still, it didn't hold the proper meaning. However, now being older and of course wiser it is a day that brings tears to my eyes, because not only do I understand it, but I live with it! My husband is in the Army and has been for quite awhile now. We have lived through two deployments and he currently suffers through PTSD as well as other combat related issues and injuries. He has had to endure two surgeries due to nerve damage that also left him somewhat paralyzed in both hands. Now, he has feeling and movement. He has permanent pain and issues that no amount of surgeries or medication can "fix". So, my point is, I now get and understand this day honoring our Vet's. Sadly, in my opinion, that it takes this day for some people to say Thank You or to honor them. These men and women, as well as their immediate families live with life changes on a daily basis. I know we do. There are no amount of words that could describe the "changes" or the difference deployments make in our lives. So, unless you are living it or have lived it, please keep your negative and know it all comments and opinions to yourself. Because, quite honestly, you have no clue on this life!

With that being said, I came across an interesting story on the Washington Post today. It was someone that lived the military life visiting with his family at Walter Reed. It was a comment that he wrote about that caught my attention, one that is so true and one that took him many years to realize. It made me want to share it with anyone who reads what I write. Here is what he wrote:

"I never thought much about the meaning of Veterans Day -- strange for someone who spent 26 years in the Army. But last year I got it: Memorial Day is to honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, and Veterans Day is to honor those who have to live with the sacrifices they made."
and
"Veterans Day is for honoring all these brave young people who are the vanguards of freedom for this generation, as well as to honor those who suffered similarly in previous generations. Take a moment to remember the sacrifices they will have to live with -- God bless them."


How true this is. Memorial Day is for honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice. In my honest opinion, the families left behind should also be honored on this day. They too sacrificed more than many of us will ever sacrifice. And, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you. You are never forgotten. I have friends who are living this living hell every day! One day a year to remember their loved ones it just not enough. What happened to our patriotism?  Just as Veteran's Day is the day so many people choose to look at a Vet and say Thank You. Do you realize that everyday their lives are different than before they were in a warzone? As well as the life of their spouse and children?  Every "thank you" means so much to these men and women as well as their families. I swell up with pride when we are walking somewhere and Kevin is in his uniform and someone stops us, shakes his hand, then just says "thank you for your sacrifices sir", then turns to me and the kids and continues to tell us thank you for ours as well. That means the world to me. We do give up so much for him to put his life on the line. Do I think we should be treated any differently, absolutely not. We do this and live this life because we want to. But, appreciation and understand from others goes such a long ways! I mean, when you go to bed at night and can see your spouse and know every night they will be next to you, be thankful. Since 2003 I have yet to spend one full year with my husband by my side every night and not one birthday or Mothers Day has he been home to spend it with me. Am I complaining? No. I am just stating the obvious. The only two anniversaries I have been lucky to have him home were spent in the hospital, both surgery related. He has also missed the many special events and occasions at home with our children. Like the first nine, almost ten, months of our sons life. Not to mention the countless days that the army has him. But, in the end, he is in the Army and I can say proudly my husband has served his time overseas in war zones. He's a Veteran that I am privileged to have by my side and honor everyday.


From the bottom of my heart, thank you to each and every one of you that have sacrificed! You are never forgotten! As, well as to the families that continue living this life, thank you! 


Some Quotes that I will leave you with...




"In War, there are no unwounded soldiers" ~ Jose Narosky


"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."
~ Elmer Davis


"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die"  ~ G.K. Chersterton


"It is easy to take liberty for granted when you have never had it taken from you" ~ Dick Cheney


"Our Veteran's accepted the responsibility to defend America and uphold our values when duty called"  ~ Bill Shuster


"The willingness of America's Veteran's to sacrifice our country has earned them our lasting gratitude"  ~ Jeff Miller


I have many more, but I will leave you with these for the time. Thank  you to my husband who has missed out on so much, yet has done what so many others are too selfish to do. Your selfless acts have never gone unnoticed or taken for granted. We love you more than words could ever say. I thank God every day for watching over you and bringing you back home to us. Our future is always one day at a time, but I know, without a doubt, we have so much to look forward to! Thank you and I love you! You are mine and the kids true hero!





No comments:

Post a Comment