Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Strike or Not to Strike

Have you ever come across something that made you think about Bill Engvall and “Here’s your sign…..” One of these moments just occurred to me. I logged onto facebook and had a few requests for me to join in on the March 10 Gas Strike…. Really? Do people really feel this will work? Do people really feel that not filling up today, tomorrow (March 10), or the following day will actually do anything? Regardless if you choose to fill up on these days or not, you are going to eventually need gas again. In return, the gas companies will still end up with their money and you will only screw yourself. Refusing to purchase gas and to become a follower on the most ridiculous strike will do nothing to change neither the current nor the future oil market. However, it will just take more out of your wallet when you wait for the few days to pass before filling up.
Think about this; if everyone refuses to fill up and says they are not going to use oil not much good will come out of it. Not filling up tomorrow is only going to lead these people that follow this to pay more when the weekend rolls around and gas prices have increased another ten cents. In less than a month, the prices have increased from forty cents to over a dollar per gallon! Wouldn’t it be smarter to just fill up as needed?
Everyone also needs to keep in mind that with the inflation of gas prices comes many other negative things that will affect our everyday lives. Our groceries are going to increase quite a bit as will the cost of our everyday needs. Everything will increase. Are the people that fall for the “strikes” going to go all out and strike on everything that is a part of everyday life? Or are people going to come to the realization that nothing can be done and at the end of the day we will have to pay the price for the things we need. The best thing that can be done is to watch your spending and continue to be cautious on the things that are purchased.  If gas prices are eating you alive, as it is most of us, invest your money in a smaller car. It may not be something that you want, but it will get you a lot further!

Will I be filling up within these few days….no. Only because I have a full tank of gas in my Xterra and have no need to fill up at this moment. Not because of this crazy idea that has been conceived by the most naïve people ever. Though, it does make me want to go out driving all over the place tonight just so I can fill up tomorrow… Too bad gas is so expensive and I have nowhere to go! Lol . Don't think that because I am not seeing eye to eye with this situation that I am at all okay with the cost of gas and filling up my vehicle. Believe me, I am not at all. There is nothing kosher about spending $60 to fill up my truck today when a two weeks ago it was $45. However, I do realize that there is not a whole hell of a lot that I can do. I can cry and pitch a fit like others over the damage this does to my bank account. But, really, how far will that get me? Instead, I have decided to re-evaluate how my family and I live our lives and make changes around this situation at hand.

3 comments:

  1. Snopes did a proof on this... Here's the link:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

    You are absolutely right. It wouldn't ever work.

    :(

    We should all be work from home people! Then we'd never need gas!!!LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's funny that people are actually naive enough to believe it will work. I am amazed at the lack of intelligence amongst some!

    So true if we could all just work from home! It would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. First I want to thank you for following my blog.:) I think you are right about the gas price strike also. I never really did understand it. I usually just blew the whole thing off. I wish it did do something. Now I do feel bad when I forget to turn off my lights when that comes around. I do try to do that! :)

    ReplyDelete